All about coral reefs and how you can protect them..

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Wreck Diving in Lahad Datu

After being certified a diver for more than half a year, I've traveled and dived at a few places. Most of my dives are part of my work for Reef Check Malaysia, which involves a lot of training. These are some of the photos I've taken during one of my dives in Lahad Datu. I've got limited photos as I'm trying to use photos taken by me, so that there'll be no copyright issues. :) So, without an underwater camera, I don't have much to show.

One of my first few underwater shots and I absolutely LOVE it! (except for the bubbles that spoils it). This soft coral is growing on the side of the ship during one of the dives in Lahad Datu.


This soft and slimy little thing is actually a HARD coral. It's a mushroom coral! This is how it looks when the tentacles are out feeding...



And it will look something like this when the tentacles go back inside...


Another amazing creature; Ascidians - usually in nice
bright colours!!


This, I think is a bubble coral and SURPRISE, it is also HARD coral, as it has a hard skeleton like the mushroom coral. (do correct me if I'm wrong :p)


This is a nudibranch, or commonly know as a sea-slug. This is only one of the thousands of species of nudibranch. A whole variety of colours, patterns and shapes can be found!!


In case you wondered what those are, let me tell you. ALL of the above are ANIMALS!! Not plants, not rocks, but animals. Interesting? Well, there's a whole lot more of weird and exciting stuff down there! So, get on learning how to dive and go see the underwater paradise for yourselves...

Thought: Whenever I look at these creatures; how they move; how they eat and how colourful, weird or funny they may look, I'm reminded of how GREAT my God is. Thank You God for giving me the opportunity to see His creation in the depths of the sea..


No comments: